Thursday, September 18, 2008

Collecting Collections

I just finished reading the first gorgeous volume of Neil Gaiman's Absolute Sandman, and got to thinking about my collector's mentality. I bought every issue of Sandman right off the comics rack in the 1980s and 1990s. I also purchased each of the paperback reprints as they appeared (including the boxed set of the first three) and I've been buying the Absolute editions as soon as they've been published. That means I've got three versions of the same story, in three different formats.

Why? What compels me, and others, to keep shelling out for new versions of stories we already own?

Here was my mentality, at least, going into it (and this is my version of events, mind you -- my wife may differ): when the paperbacks came out, I purchased them to have them on hand for those times when I wanted to re-read the stories, but didn't want to put the wear-and-tear on the original comics because, y'know, you don't want to ruin your comics from frequent re-reading.

And stuff.

*wrings hands*

Anyway, that's all very well, then, so why purchase the Absolute editions? Well, because each volume has all sorts of New and Improved Great Stuff in it, like Gaiman's original pitch to DC Comics (see? Even Neil Gaiman had to pitch an editor!), and copies of some of his scripts and rough pencils from great stories like "A Midsummer Night's Dream." Plus, the books themselves are just plain nice, with black leather covers, cloth bookmarks, and shiny slipcases. It's the sort of book that a bibliophile just has to touch, turn over, weigh in the hands, and, yes, read. You can't help it.

I know. That's exactly the mentality that the Powers That Be at DC are hoping for. "We'll dangle just enough new stuff in front of you," they cackle as they count their shekels, "that you'll keep right on buying different editions of the same thing!" You laugh, but be honest: how many times have you bought a favorite DVD multiple times, just because the studio released the first version in 2002, then a remastered letterboxed version in 2004, and finally a special 2-disc "Anniversary Edition!" in 2007?

Still, I've made some progress lately in shaking my Collector Mentality. For the first time ever, I gave away the original paperback reprints, shipping them off to my brother in Montana.

Er, except for the boxed set of the first three. Because you can't go completely cold turkey, you know.