Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Woof! Woof! Woof!

As I was standing in the kitchen making dinner last night, I started casually flipping through the latest issue of Mirage, the surprisingly charming alumni magazine from my alma mater, the University of New Mexico (sidenote: I have always argued that if the FBI really wants to find its Ten Most Wanted, it should simply sic their respective alumni associations on them, as they seem to have an uncanny ability to find you no matter how many times you move and fail to fill out a New Address Card). And to my surprise, right there in a two-page spread, was a piece on Washington Irving: An American Original.

Now, that was nice. I had e-mailed the alumni association months ago, just to give them a heads up on the book, hoping it might make an appearance in the "Album" that runs along the right-hand column of each page. I never expected a whole article, much less a Two-Page Feature Article. In color, even. (My only gripe, and it's a small one, is they tagged my course of study incorrectly -- I was an English major, not a history major. It only bothers me because I really liked the English department and -- perhaps ironically now -- never took a single history class in college.)

My thanks to the crew at Mirage for a bang-up piece. (Yes, I sent them thank you notes as well.) Eat 'em up, eat 'em up, woof woof woof!